The link is to a valedictory interview with Clare as she leaves the civil services. It includes her own encapsulation of her principles of leadership – and since she is one of the finest leaders I have had the privilege of seeing in action, they are principles which it well worth taking seriously.
- Leadership is making it possible for other people to do their best work.
- Only do what only you can do.
- Ask yourself what, in six months’ time, you’ll wish you’d done six months ago – and do it now.
- The currency of leadership is attention – spend it wisely.
- It’s OK to feel what you feel.
Clare gave a a fuller account of her thoughts on leadership in a speech last year.